[SWLUG] Fedora 11 es1371 borked sound

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Jun 18 08:42:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Phillip Muldoon wrote:

> Well, if it was RPM-based, it would be a variation of CentOS since

Not true - lots of distros use RPM, even ones that have nothing to do with
CentOS.

In any case, I don't see why the packaging method has *any* bearing at all
on whether the distro likes your hardware - this seems to be a red
herring.

>       i'm inclined to prefer apt over yum for package management.
>       Even the
>       iPhone/touch uses the apt package management on jailbroken
>       models.
>
> Again curious for the reasons. We've all read the explanations from the
> fans of one over the eitther, and google is replete with long diatribes
> over ports over apt over yum.  Even more than before as I just google'd
> the differences ;) Still I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I'm sure you can promote any packaging system with a sentence like "Even
$foo uses $bar" so long as you choose $foo appropriately - I don't really
see this as any kind of a justification for choosing one over another.

There are advantages and disadvantages with all the packaging systems -
choose the one that suits your needs the best.  Personally I prefer
RPMs - very easy to manage and build... I especially find ipkg very poor,
lacking in most of the features I expect from a package management system
(but that might not be surprising - it's very light weight which is why so
many embedded distros use it).

>       Ubuntu has just seemed to be ahead of Fedora in terms of
>       usability for
>       years and seems to have less hassles with hardware (without
>       it being
>       user error).
>
> You're going to have to qualify this statement, you knew it was coming.

I think this is possibly a "what did you use first" thing.  Personally I
find Ubuntu very unuserfriendly compared to Fedora, but Ubuntu does seem
to be an extremely popular introductory distro.  There are probably a
number of factors here:

Firstly, Ubuntu's marketting machine has been much better than most other
free (beer) distros - Canonical have sunk a *lot* of money into the
marketting.  I'll leave everyone to make their own decision on whether
this was a Good Thing or if they should have been spending that money on
developers. :)

Secondly, Windows users who are trying Linux for the first time seem to be
happier with Ubuntu - this may partly be down to the marketting thing (so
it was the first thing they tried) but also it may simply be that Ubuntu's
UI is more Windows-like.  Of course, being Windows-like isn't necessarilly
a good thing for long-term Linux users - I find Windows' UI to be about
the least userfriendly thing out there. :)

At this point, I'll say that the Linux distros I have mostly used for
the past 12 years have been Red Hat Linux, Fedora, RHEL and CentOS, so my
judgement may be coloured by a familiarity with Red Hat based distros.  I
also haven't used Windows for anything serious in the last 8 years.

> And secondly the the distros are built pretty much from the same
> software.

Ahh, but it is probably the default configuration that makes most of the
difference rather than the actual software used.  With enough time, you
can make Ubuntu *look* very close to Fedora, for example, through simple
reconfiguration, but who wants to spend the time doing that?

As an example, (I'll get flamed for this, but...) I find Debian a pretty
horendous distro because the default configuration for *everything* seems
to be terrible.  Yes, I can spend hours reconfiguring it to act sensibly,
but why would I bother when I can pick one of a large number of other
distros which comes sensibly configured out of the box?

I'll also take this opportunity to mention that, in my experience, the
most popular distros used in industry (mainly on servers) seem to be
RHEL/CentOS and to a lesser extent, SLES; so whatever you use at home, it
is very worthwhile having a good knowledge of Red Hat style distros,
assuming that you're in (or want to be in) that sort of job.

  - Steve