[SWLUG] Fedora 11 es1371 borked sound

Phillip Muldoon pkmuldoon at picobot.org
Thu Jun 18 10:44:15 UTC 2009

2009/6/18 Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org>

> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Phillip Muldoon wrote:
>
>  Well, if it was RPM-based, it would be a variation of CentOS since
>>

> Not true - lots of distros use RPM, even ones that have nothing to do with
> CentOS.
>
> In any case, I don't see why the packaging method has *any* bearing at all
> on whether the distro likes your hardware - this seems to be a red herring.

Just to nit pick on quoting, I did not say that ;)

>       Ubuntu has just seemed to be ahead of Fedora in terms of
>>      usability for
>>      years and seems to have less hassles with hardware (without
>>      it being
>>      user error).
>>
>> You're going to have to qualify this statement, you knew it was coming.
>>

> I think this is possibly a "what did you use first" thing.  Personally I
> find Ubuntu very unuserfriendly compared to Fedora, but Ubuntu does seem to
> be an extremely popular introductory distro.  There are probably a number of
> factors here:
>
> Firstly, Ubuntu's marketting machine has been much better than most other
> free (beer) distros - Canonical have sunk a *lot* of money into the
> marketting.  I'll leave everyone to make their own decision on whether this
> was a Good Thing or if they should have been spending that money on
> developers. :)
>
> Secondly, Windows users who are trying Linux for the first time seem to be
> happier with Ubuntu - this may partly be down to the marketting thing (so it
> was the first thing they tried) but also it may simply be that Ubuntu's UI
> is more Windows-like.  Of course, being Windows-like isn't necessarilly a
> good thing for long-term Linux users - I find Windows' UI to be about the
> least userfriendly thing out there. :)
>
> At this point, I'll say that the Linux distros I have mostly used for the
> past 12 years have been Red Hat Linux, Fedora, RHEL and CentOS, so my
> judgement may be coloured by a familiarity with Red Hat based distros.  I
> also haven't used Windows for anything serious in the last 8 years.

I really like them both, and they both have thier place.  I was curious to
the nature of why replacing one with the other would solve a (this) problem.
Does Ubuntu have a kernel with better sound drivers? Less buggy? I dunno,
was asking why this was suggested as a solution. I'm researching the
original issue, and that normally means using bugzilla and finding previous
reports. This can be  tedious. I wish we could fix/improve bugzilla ;)

>  And secondly the the distros are built pretty much from the same software.
>>

> Ahh, but it is probably the default configuration that makes most of the
> difference rather than the actual software used.  With enough time, you can
> make Ubuntu *look* very close to Fedora, for example, through simple
> reconfiguration, but who wants to spend the time doing that?
>
> As an example, (I'll get flamed for this, but...) I find Debian a pretty
> horendous distro because the default configuration for *everything* seems to
> be terrible.  Yes, I can spend hours reconfiguring it to act sensibly, but
> why would I bother when I can pick one of a large number of other distros
> which comes sensibly configured out of the box?
>
> I'll also take this opportunity to mention that, in my experience, the most
> popular distros used in industry (mainly on servers) seem to be RHEL/CentOS
> and to a lesser extent, SLES; so whatever you use at home, it is very
> worthwhile having a good knowledge of Red Hat style distros, assuming that
> you're in (or want to be in) that sort of job.

I used (and still use Debian) for years.  My job requires me to run many
different distros, as I generally work upstream in projects. But I've been
with Fedora (and RHL before that), when it was born.  I really want to
improve it. If it is failing somewhere it should be fixed. And remain
positive too; the future for Linux of all stripes has never looked better,
or brighter.

Regards

Phil