[SWLUG] Fedora 11 es1371 borked sound

Mike Martin redtux1 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 18 08:52:16 UTC 2009

2009/6/18 Phillip Muldoon <pkmuldoon at picobot.org>:

>> > You forgot to include the definition of a "better distro", namely
>> > "anything other than what you're already using".
>> >

>> Well, if it was RPM-based, it would be a variation of CentOS since i
>> got bitten by a bug in Fedora years ago and won't forgive it.
>> Anyway,...
>

> You've got my curiosity going now. I normally don't participate in X is
> better than Y distro talks, because I do not find them very productive. But
> some points were raised:
>
> Fedora 1 was released around about October 2003, so about 6 years.  I'm
> curious to what bug shattered your confidence in it, all those years ago.
> Bugzilla should still have it. Do you have a link or description?
>

>> I use:
>>
>> Work: CentOS (desktop, servers, cluster), OSX (with X and macports) on
>> laptop, Ubuntu & SuSE for other equipment.
>

> CentOS is based on RHEL which in many ways is built from Fedora. What's the
> difference here in your confidence level? What is the mitigating factor that
> CentOS produces to provide you with a scenario where you can use it?
>

>> i'm inclined to prefer apt over yum for package management. Even the
>> iPhone/touch uses the apt package management on jailbroken models.
>

> Again curious for the reasons. We've all read the explanations from the fans
> of one over the eitther, and google is replete with long diatribes over
> ports over apt over yum.  Even more than before as I just google'd the
> differences ;) Still I'd like to hear your thoughts.
>

>> Ubuntu has just seemed to be ahead of Fedora in terms of usability for
>> years and seems to have less hassles with hardware (without it being
>> user error).
>

> You're going to have to qualify this statement, you knew it was coming. ;)
> First, this presumes you've been running Fedora after all to make an
> intelligent and thoughtful comparison.  And secondly the the distros are
> built pretty much from the same software. One uses yum, one uses apt. They
> use the same GNOME, KDE, Kernel bits. Pretty much the same development
> tools, eclipse IDE, emacs, vi, inet tools, open office, firefox,
> thunderbird, and other apps. As far as I can tell they are far more the same
> than different. What usability deltas are you observing that puts this one
> distro over another, especially as they are both on 6 month release cycles?
> I could see perhaps the glimmer of a valid argument if it was Ubuntu versus
> Debian stable. We have a large difference in release cycles there. Anyway
> the perceived usability value  must be razor thin for such rapidly released
> distributions.

Just to add, I have used RH/Fedora for years (1999) and just dont have
hardware issues, maybe I'm lucky, but there are a lot of bits of cheap
hardware I have which just work, or work with add rpms, which I hear
have seceral problems on ubuntu (if the forums are to be believed)

This includes SATA cards mobile dongles, wireless dongles eta al