[SWLUG] Fedora 11 es1371 borked sound

swlug swlug at alicious.com
Thu Jun 18 20:30:52 UTC 2009

Steve Hill wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Phillip Muldoon wrote:
>
>> Well, if it was RPM-based, it would be a variation of CentOS since
>
> Not true - lots of distros use RPM, even ones that have nothing to do
> with CentOS.
>
> In any case, I don't see why the packaging method has *any* bearing at
> all on whether the distro likes your hardware - this seems to be a red
> herring.
Agreed. Although those preinstall and post-install scripts can get quite
complex, I can see it might have a bearing occasionally for unusual
software.

>>       i'm inclined to prefer apt over yum for package management.
>>       Even the
>>       iPhone/touch uses the apt package management on jailbroken
>>       models.
>>
>> Again curious for the reasons. We've all read the explanations from the
>> fans of one over the eitther, and google is replete with long diatribes
>> over ports over apt over yum.  Even more than before as I just google'd
>> the differences ;) Still I'd like to hear your thoughts.
>
> I'm sure you can promote any packaging system with a sentence like
> "Even $foo uses $bar" so long as you choose $foo appropriately - I
> don't really see this as any kind of a justification for choosing one
> over another.
>
> There are advantages and disadvantages with all the packaging systems
I just like apt. Thankfully I don't have to be bothered why.
>>       Ubuntu has just seemed to be ahead of Fedora in terms of
>>       usability for
>>       years and seems to have less hassles with hardware (without
>>       it being
>>       user error).
>>
>> You're going to have to qualify this statement, you knew it was coming.
>
> I think this is possibly a "what did you use first" thing.
I used Fedora, well Red Hat first before Ubuntu. Ubuntu's attraction for
me was partly via Knoppix, Knoppix found and configured hardware
automatically for me that no other system would.
> Secondly, Windows users who are trying Linux for the first time seem
> to be happier with Ubuntu - this may partly be down to the marketting
> thing (so it was the first thing they tried) but also it may simply be
> that Ubuntu's UI is more Windows-like.
I prefer KDE, now KDE4 - I tried Gnome (again) when I installed Ubu' but
just couldn't settle with it. It's more Mac-like to me (alien!) than
Windows-like. YMMV.
> At this point, I'll say that the Linux distros I have mostly used for
> the past 12 years have been Red Hat Linux, Fedora, RHEL and CentOS, so
> my judgement may be coloured by a familiarity with Red Hat based
> distros.  I also haven't used Windows for anything serious in the last
> 8 years.
You might be after the popular vote here but I think you're lying
(subtly perhaps but lying still). From your CV you mention
cross-platform development ... or was that not serious? If you apply for
a job at a mixed *nix/windows shop and they read this you could really
do yourself a disservice - careful! Yeah, I avoid MS Windows too, but I
use it for website testing and for training people on specific software.

>> And secondly the the distros are built pretty much from the same
>> software.
>
> Ahh, but it is probably the default configuration that makes most of
> the difference rather than the actual software used.  With enough
> time, you can make Ubuntu *look* very close to Fedora, for example,
> through simple reconfiguration, but who wants to spend the time doing
> that?
How often do you need to configure iptables, or a new piece of hardware
though? I'm using Ubuntu now (last 18 months) after getting bored with
constructing my own packets more often than not for Slackware (despite
there being a couple of slack package repos and slackpkg). Have used
Mandriva and Fedora, plus some MS Windows, but never plain Debian.

For me it is absolutely the applications that form my experience.
Ubuntu's not much different to Slack though people would probably put
them at opposite ends of the spectrum. It takes me ages with any distro
to really settle in, but then that's the same if you change WM too (I
like to try new things to be sure I'm not missing out).

My tu'penneth, FWIW.

pbhj