[SWLUG] Fedora 11 es1371 borked sound

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Jun 18 21:29:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, swlug wrote:

> You might be after the popular vote here but I think you're lying

Umm, excuse me?

> From your CV you mention cross-platform development ... or was that not
> serious?

No, that was entirely serious.  I spent 2 years at Intel doing
cross-platform SS7 and SIGTRAN protocol stack development - you seem to be
under the impression that "cross platform" *has* to mean Windows, which
demonstrates a very narrow view point.  The code I worked on was for the
most part working across a number of OS platforms such as Linux, Solaris,
etc. and a range of different hardware platforms.

Whilst much of the code we wrote needed to work under Windows, this didn't
mean I really did much with Windows myself - I just had to be mindful of
this fact (which generally means: avoid using anything invented in the
past 10 years, coz Microsoft's compiler is too crap to deal with it).  I'm
afraid, in that industry Windows doesn't really feature that highly on the
radar, so development was primarily on non-Windows platforms.

I had both a Linux machine and a Windows machine on my desk (since a
Windows machine was company policy) - the Windows machine booted straight
into an X server and connected to my Linux machine.  So yes, strictly
speaking I suppose you could say that I used Windows, in reality it was
just being an X terminal.

> If you apply for a job at a mixed *nix/windows shop and they
> read this you could really do yourself a disservice - careful!

But I have absolutely no interest in applying for such a job and I've
always made it very clear at job interviews that I have no interest in
doing Windows development.  At the moment I'm self employed, exclusively
doing Linux work (my CV is rather out of date).

> How often do you need to configure iptables, or a new piece of hardware
> though?

Since my job involves a lot of this, I would be inclined to say "every few
days".

But I'm not really talking about iptables, I'm mostly talking about
user-facing stuff - application configuration.

  - Steve