[SWLUG] website upgrade

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri May 29 12:39:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 12:27 +0100, Paul Connell wrote:
> I think we would benefit from a good quality forum - mailing lists fail
> at threading (well, most do) - and IRC is too transitory.  A good forum
> would fit well between the two extremes (IMHO).

if you have trouble threading, get a better email client.
the archives are threaded too.

web forums are really terrible for keeping up to date with, you have to
go check them to look for new stuff and they tend to be bad (or dont do
at all) remember where you got to.

best example of it was with the student computer society, the latest
bunch of students argued that the old text bbs we used was too crufty,
and they wanted a shiny new web forum instead.  a year later, the forum
is all but dead, its too much hassle to go back and check for updates so
nobody uses it.

however, some kind of decent comments section forumy thing might be good
for specific uses though, for example when we do talks and tech
meetings, tacked onto the end of an announcement article or something.
might be a bit more organised than the wiki method we previously used.

there seems to be a growing consensus on drupal, i will setup the server
and give account details to the appropriate people so they can hack it
up a bit and see what people think before we attempt a switch over.