[SWLUG] website upgrade

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri May 29 12:49:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Paul Connell wrote:

> I think we would benefit from a good quality forum -

Just... no...  Yuck.

> mailing lists fail at threading (well, most do)

No, your mail client fails at threading - works just fine in Alpine and
many others.

Whereas forums have many problems - I've not yet seen any that fall into
the category of "good quality" - most of them _do_ suck at threading,
require you to poll them for new messages (no, I'm not going to log into
20 individual forums several times a day to see if anyone has sent me new
messages when they could just be landing in my mail client instead), they
provide no way for people to change to a different UI that works better
for them and pretty much anything web based is horrendously slow when
you're used to using local applications.

  - Steve