[SWLUG] Using Knoppix for data extraction

swlug swlug at alicious.com
Tue Sep 29 21:18:23 UTC 2009

It could be something as "simple" as a poor driver install, video driver
say, maybe by windowsupdate. The driver baulks, windows crashes and
auto-reboots, notices it's not shutdown properly and does a chkdsk,
finishes disk checking and starts windows, initiates driver, windows
crashes, ... rinse and repeat. It can indicate a HDD problem but your
SMART data should show (use smartctl on command line in Linux) if the
disk is failing - interpreting the data can be a little tricky as it's
counter-intuitive, read up on it first (seriously! most people interpret
it the wrong way).

Try safe mode or the recovery console depending on version and go back
to checkpoint just before last windows update.

Of course I have used Knoppix to save data from crashing drives too -
hooking up a laptop via ethernet works well - pass data across and
backup to the laptop, then send it back later (eg to new computer/new HDD).

HTH,

pbhj