[SWLUG] More help with problem machine

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 13:06:44 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,

Some more suggestions please. This is concerning the machine with the
possibly dodgy hard disk that needs its data removing pronto.
I am using knoppix to rescue it. The machine is a laptop.
I did at first load Knoppix correctly.going into the media I could
access the memory stick.

It refused to mount sda1 sda2 sda3 which I believe the windows disk.

It gave a message saying warning me against doing this it I had windows and
instructing me that I could force the mount.

Are my assumptions correct about this being the windows disk and does
anyone know what other risks I am taking.if I force it.

I am sorry I don't have more details as after this happened I tried to
get on line for some searches and the system crashed.
It appears that there may also be a falt with the DVD drive as the CD
began to make noises in the drive and even more when I
tried to boot from it again. I have tried the disk at home with no problems.
I have now built up a memory stick a memory stick version and intend to
try again.

Neil