[SWLUG] Perl/MySQL Problem

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Mar 11 10:29:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 09:56 +0000, Terry John wrote:
> I've upgraded my installation of MySQL which gave me a few problems
> with Perl scripts. So I upgraded the DBD-mysql module. Unfortunately
> the DBD-mysql insists on using /tmp/mysql.sock socket instead of the
> one that that MySQL is configured for.
>
> I can configure MySQL to use that socket, or symlink it. It's just
> that I'd rather the socket was tucked away in /var/lib/mysql which is
> where it was before. I'm afraid if I symlink it in /tmp the symlink
> will be "tidied away" at some point.
>
> Does anyone know any way of configuring/hacking/bullying DBD-mysql to
> look in the right place for the socket. The original system (RedHat)
> one managed it but maybe they're cleverer than me..

sounds like you went and installed a version that wasnt built for
redhat, you really should try to stay on piste for your own sanity,
theres plenty of alternate repositories that carry updates that the
standard redhat dont.  e.g. rpmforge, freshrpms.  and theres
rpm.pbone.net to help search for suitable rpms.

but anyway, from the DBD::Mysql manual

http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-mysql/lib/DBD/mysql.pm#Class_Methods

Connect string options

mysql_socket - As of MySQL 3.21.15, it is possible to choose the Unix
socket that is used for connecting to the server. This is done, for
example, with mysql_socket=/dev/mysql