[SWLUG] Archos 101, 16GB .. opinions?

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Tue Aug 2 18:42:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 17:48 +0100, Matthew Moore wrote:
> On 02/08/11 09:29, Justin Mitchell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 08:42 +0100, Matthew Moore wrote:
> >> The Advent Vega is cheap but apparently has a crap screen.
> >
> > Well, crap is a relative thing in the case of the vega.
> <snip>
> > next time i drag myself along to a meeting i will bring it.
> >

> Never used or seen one myself, just going on what they said in the PC
> Pro article.  I think it doesn't help that lots of articles are
> comparing tablets against iPads.  As is often pointed out on here, most
> of us have totally different requirements to most users.  For example I
> found the connectivity options for iPads and the Samsung Galaxy Tab to
> be quite poor.  Which is why the Archos tablet with a proper USB port is
> quite attractive.  Pity it doesn't have 3G, but as you've got a USB port
> you can put a dongle in.

On the rare occasion i take mine out of the house, and there isnt wifi,
i use the portable hotspot mode in my android phone.

the modaco forums have people talking about using the usb-host mode
support and using a huawei 3g dongle, there is also supposed to be a
version of the vega coming with a 3g card in it, as it has the internal
connectors, and there are other rebrands of the same device that come
with them factory fitted.