[SWLUG] Mobile broadband - can I make one machine feed the others?

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Thu Aug 4 07:23:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 22:48:56 +0100, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got it working on Ubuntu 10.10! I used PPBUNDLE.INTERNET and
> installed the usb-modeswitch packages...

Result!  So that's just on your netbook right?

> Would it be possible to use ssh on the Ubuntu netbook to make my
> desktop able to think it had direct internet access?

You just need to set the netbook up as a router.  Handily they call the
feature ICS as they do under windows, so this link should sort you out:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing

I don't think you should give up on getting the dongle working on your
debian desktop tho, have you tried this script - http://www.sakis3g.org/ ?
They even have a video on getting a dongle working on Debian Lenny.
There's not that much difference between Ubuntu and Debian really, so I
reckon it should work.

Cheers,

Matt