[SWLUG] Technical Meetings - What do you want to talk about?

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Aug 10 06:25:41 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I enjoyed last night and would welcome the chance to attend more
meetings, especially if they have a more technical bent to them.

I'm willing to deliver talks/workshops on a few topics (see below),
however I thought I'd start a thread to see what other skills we've got
within the LUG and who else would be willing to talk/run workshops about
their "pet subjects".

My interests mainly lie in large-scale systems deployment and
configuration management, so I'd be happy to discuss the following
subjects:

* Server automation with Puppet/MCollective/Cobbler
* Large-scale deployments
* Capistrano (for rails, PHP and Puppet)
* Change and Configuration Management

One of the things suggested last night was that these talks might be on
a Saturday afternoon instead of a weekday evening so that they can be
discussed at length.  I'm in favour of this as long as it doesn't clash
with the Rugby! :P

The other thing which was discussed last night was the venue for such an
event.  Is there anyone on the list willing to host the LUG for free at
their premises?  If not, does anyone have any contacts who might be able
to get us a cheap venue? I realise this is being a bit cheeky, but hey,
if you don't ask... ;)

The location of Abergavenny worked well for those that made it and it
was agreed that a similar location could enable us to boost numbers for
our technical talks by contacting other LUGs in the area (GlosLUG and
HLUG were the two that were specifically mentioned).

Anyway, let's hear the LUG's thoughts on the above and see if we can get
some good technical discussions going in the Autumn! :)

Kind regards,

Matt
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace