[SWLUG] Mobile broadband - can I make one machine feed the others?

Sam Radion sam at samradion.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 14:59:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Jon Reynolds
<maillist at jcrdevelopments.com>wrote:

> **
>
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 12:36:24 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:
>

> Plan is TopUp and Go.  Its pre-paid at £15 per 1GB.  I will have to top up
> when it runs out.  Advantage of this particular plan is that you can take a
> long as you like to use up the data allowance, provided you make use of it
> at least once every 180 days.  I don't think you can get this plan now but I
> managed to find old stock in a Tesco store.  It is probably the phone number
> that actually identifies the precise terms of the plan.
>
> Tony
>
> That sounds good. I just bought a Three dongle (newer HSDPA one). Have yet
> to try it with Ubuntu, but I hate the fact that as soon as I activate it,
> the pre-paid 3Gb will run out after a period of time. Not really PAYG.
>
> Don't see why they are doing it like this (well it makes more money I
> guess) if I buy something in a shop, I don't expect it to suddenly 'go away'
> if I don't use it in a certain time. Its mine now, I paid for it, I should
> be able to use it when I am good and ready.
>
> --

So if you pay for a month's access to a gym to you expect to go back three
months later and say "I only used the first two weeks"

You are not buying a product, you are buying a time period of access with a
maximum amount you can use in that time. Even the companies like vodafone
still give you a maximum time to use your access, it's just a lot longer
than three (and costs more accordingly).