[SWLUG] CD writung

Daniel Morris danielm at iee.org
Mon Feb 14 11:56:40 UTC 2011

Hi Ilyan,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:29:13AM +0000, ilyan wrote:
> THanks Colin,
>   it did produce a viable CD at 15 instead of 40.   Perhaps I should
>   get a new disc writing software, the one I have does not seem to
>   pull data from a flash drive,   Had to put it on the desktop for it
>   to work.    I seem to have two different programs available, and I
>   am wondering if they might foul each other in someway.

I've found lots of differences betwen claimed disc speed and what works
reliably - even to the extent that a burnt disc can only be read from
certain machines/devices. As Colin suggested, I'd switch to a much lower
speed, such as 4-8x, if you are having trouble with a particular brand
of disc.

I've always found k3b to be pretty flexible and friendly as a front-end
to the various native burners (cdrecord, wodim etc). A decade ago one
might have hit problems if a machine was constantly swapping and
thrashing, leading to "under-runs" where the burner was starved of data.
Most burners now seem to have sufficient internal buffers (megabytes of
memory) to avoid this problem.

 Daniel