[SWLUG] digital radio & ogg audio player...

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Fri Jan 28 17:04:41 UTC 2011

<snip>
> as for french radio, actual over the air is going to be hard simply
> because the signals dont travel that far, by design. its better at night
> but the the stations from different countries tend to stomp on each
> other.
>
> the best hope is that these days many radio stations have online
> versions, which a device like this should be able to play for you.

I agree, it's going to be best to listen to online French radio stations.

So basically you want a DAB Radio that plays OGG files and will also
connect to the normal range of internet radio streams.  I think you'll find
that a tough requirement to meet.  Looks like your best bet will be to get
a dedicated 'internet radio' eg Logitech Squeezebox and a separate DAB
Radio, Roberts usually make good ones.  There are radios that do
DAB/FM/AM/Internet radio, but not ogg.

Do you really need the DAB?  I've looked into DAB before and it sounds like
you don't get much from it, i.e. it's a bit naff.

Matt