[SWLUG] digital radio & ogg audio player...

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Jan 28 11:07:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 10:10 +0000, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My wife wants a digital radio & ogg audio player that will receive the
> normal UK stations (e.g., BBC Radio 1-7), but she also wants to get
> French radio.
>
> I have no idea about radio; I do know that at least some Samsung players
> can play ogg audio files & have radios, but don't know how to work out
> if they can get the stations she wants (or even what or if any French
> stations are available over here).

the 'Flow' series from Pure play many file formats as well as being a
DAB and FM radio, although i dont see ogg vorbis in their list of
codecs.

Its also one of the few devices i've found that actually use the
standards like upnp, as all the logitech/slim stuff needs its own custom
server software running on a desktop.

as for french radio, actual over the air is going to be hard simply
because the signals dont travel that far, by design. its better at night
but the the stations from different countries tend to stomp on each
other.

the best hope is that these days many radio stations have online
versions, which a device like this should be able to play for you.