[SWLUG] Linux mobile broadband advice please

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Jul 30 12:41:32 UTC 2011

Hi Mark
What distro are you running?

I did quite a bit of experimenting last year with a Huawei and a Nokia
N95 with a variety of distros (all on live CD) after helping a guy on
the Leicester LUG and getting that realisation that not all distros as
easy as Fedora or Ubuntu.

At the time I found that the only distros that would detect the devices
were Fedora (gnome) and Ubuntu (I never tried Kubuntu). Out of the box
working is certainly still true on Fedora 15.

If you have a suitable 3G phone and cable, and have a reasonable data
allowance, or can buy a bolt on I would just do that for a few days.

Otherwise either buy a cheap PAYG SIM card for the same operator if
locked, Three if unlocked, or get a Three PAYG dongle. On PAYG Three
will then offer you various access/costs.

HTH Phil