[SWLUG] Network permissions

Phillip Evans phillip at phillipevans.mail1.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 00:12:25 UTC 2011

I have a Western Digital external USB hd formatted as NTFS plugged into
my desktop. On my previous version of Kubuntu, 10.04, I was able to
share this across my domestic network using Samba with full r/w access
no problem.

Since upgrading to 11.10 the share is listed on other networked machines
but cannot be accessed. On checking permissions I find that only Owner
has full r/w access, Group & World are access denied. I have tried to
change Group & World access to full r/w but it will not accept any
change even if I do it as root.

What has changed ? Any ideas on how to overcome this ??

Phillip Evans