[SWLUG] using android phone with laptop

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Sep 5 13:25:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 13:45 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Given an android phone and an eeepc without an internet connection is
> there anyway to get on-line  on the netbook using the phone's connection?
>
> I thought this sounded easy in practice, but it seems more than just
> switching on wifi on the phone and getting the netbook to find it.

It is as easy as that.

on the phone 'Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Tethering & portable
hotspot'

theres options to enable (and configure) 'Portable Wi-Fi hotspot'

or if you have a usb cable, you can use 'USB tethering'

the usb tethering stuff 'just worked' on fedora, plugged it in, network
manager noticed it and brought up the connection.

the wifi tethering is almost as easy, just turn it on, then scan wifi
from your netbook and connect to the hotspot.

if you dont have those options you are either running an ancient version
of android, or one your carrier has nobbled, in either case, if you can
upgrade to cyanogen or similar.