[SWLUG] [mark.einon at gmail.com: Website makeover (was: Celebrate GNU's big "three-o")]

Mark Einon mark.einon at linux.com
Mon Sep 23 15:23:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 01:58:04PM +0100, Peredur wrote:
>    El 23/09/13 11:46, Justin Mitchell escribió:
>
>      Yup, my design skills suck and i know it, but weve not had any artistic
>      volunteers.
>
>    As do mine and I suspect most of those of us here.  So why don't we just
>    get a WP site with a theme we can live with?  Bigger sites than ours do
>    just that.  Choosing the theme should not be too hard.
>
>    Again, I'm prepared to put some effort where my mouth is, in terms of
>    setting the site up, making any minor mods required to the theme and doing
>    the site configuration.  I've installed and managed dozens of (usually
>    slightly modified) WP sites, at least for their initial period.
>
>    If people prefer a different CMS or a different solution, I'd still try to
>    help, but might find it more difficult.

My two penneth:

Simplify, simplify, simplify!

Personally, I don't see a need for anything more than a static HTML page
with a nice bit of CSS. There isn't volunteer time available to manage
anything more than that, I'm assuming - we only need to put in an
introduction to the group, and some information on the next meetup
(even if it is only a link to the SWLUG announcement list).

I'm happy to knock something up if someone can sort out the hosting.

Bonus points if we can get a Raspberry Pi serving the website, we don't
need much more given the traffic volumes!

Cheers,

Mark