[SWLUG] [mark.einon at gmail.com: Website makeover (was: Celebrate GNU's big "three-o")]

Peredur peredur at peredur.net
Mon Sep 23 15:39:32 UTC 2013

El 23/09/13 16:23, Mark Einon escribió:
> My two penneth: Simplify, simplify, simplify! Personally, I don't see
> a need for anything more than a static HTML page with a nice bit of
> CSS. There isn't volunteer time available to manage anything more than
> that, I'm assuming - we only need to put in an introduction to the
> group, and some information on the next meetup (even if it is only a
> link to the SWLUG announcement list). I'm happy to knock something up
> if someone can sort out the hosting. Bonus points if we can get a
> Raspberry Pi serving the website, we don't need much more given the
> traffic volumes!
>
> Cheers, Mark

The trouble is that probably everybody on this list could do that, but
we don't, according to previous posters, have anyone with the design
skills to make it look well-designed and attractive (which was how we
got into this conversation).  If you do have the creative graphic design
skills to make the site good-looking, then that's great.  As long as we
don't want to make changes very often (now or ever in the foreseeable
future), such that maintenance becomes a problem, then your solution
would be fine.

Of course, if we're actually not bothered about the looks of the thing,
then again, as you say, just a few static pages would be fine and a
volunteer to look after them.

BTW, maintaining a static WP site is much less onerous than maintaining
a bunch of static pages and associated CSS.  In my opinion, of course,
but I do have a lot of experience of many different types of web
site/web application.

Peter
--
*Peter Bradley*