[SWLUG] [mark.einon at gmail.com: Website makeover (was: Celebrate GNU's big "three-o")]

Mark Einon mark.einon at linux.com
Thu Sep 26 23:06:33 UTC 2013

On 23 September 2013 16:39, Peredur <peredur at peredur.net> wrote:
> El 23/09/13 16:23, Mark Einon escribió:
>
> My two penneth: Simplify, simplify, simplify! Personally, I don't see a need
> for anything more than a static HTML page with a nice bit of CSS. There
> isn't volunteer time available to manage anything more than that, I'm
> assuming - we only need to put in an introduction to the group, and some
> information on the next meetup (even if it is only a link to the SWLUG
> announcement list). I'm happy to knock something up if someone can sort out
> the hosting. Bonus points if we can get a Raspberry Pi serving the website,
> we don't need much more given the traffic volumes!
>
> Cheers, Mark
>

> The trouble is that probably everybody on this list could do that, but we
> don't, according to previous posters, have anyone with the design skills to
> make it look well-designed and attractive (which was how we got into this
> conversation).  If you do have the creative graphic design skills to make
> the site good-looking, then that's great.  As long as we don't want to make
> changes very often (now or ever in the foreseeable future), such that
> maintenance becomes a problem, then your solution would be fine.
>
> Of course, if we're actually not bothered about the looks of the thing, then
> again, as you say, just a few static pages would be fine and a volunteer to
> look after them.
>
> BTW, maintaining a static WP site is much less onerous than maintaining a
> bunch of static pages and associated CSS.  In my opinion, of course, but I
> do have a lot of experience of many different types of web site/web
> application.

Right, noted.

Well, I've gone ahead anyway and made up a more modern looking page
(IMHO), that shouldn't need a lot more embellishment.

You can check it out here:

http://www.einon.co.uk/swlug

I think it would be great if we could use this as our new homepage.
I've avoided putting lots of info on it that might go out of date, and
instead relied on the links to the mailing list archives and IRC
channel (you can click on the link and get a browser based IRC client
to connect directly from the website link).

If anyone does think that it needs any aforementioned embellishment,
or they'd like to share their own efforts for a new candidate website,
then I've created a 'SWLUG' organisation github area:

 https://github.com/SWLUG/

...and plonked the candidate files onto it. Any suggestions, tweaks or
patches gratefully received. If you'd like to become a github
moderator (or whatever term they use) for the swlug github area, then
let me know.

Happy hacking,

Mark