[SWLUG] swlug site

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Sat Sep 28 06:56:33 UTC 2013

On 27 Sep 2013 17:00, "Justin Mitchell" <justin at discordia.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 13:49 +0100, Dick Bain wrote:
> > Justin I'm not sure that the amount of activity on the site needs a
> > CMS, indeed einon has already put up a static site
> > at: http://www.einon.co.uk/swlug/ which looks pretty good to me and
> > nobody on irc has kicked up a stink either ;-)
> > cheers Dick
>
> Problem with static pages is that some sucker (ie me) has to ssh in and
> edit them by hand every time theres a change, this is something i wish
> to avoid.

* You could grant others SSH access either as a full shell or a limited
shell that just did a git pull.
* It could be deployed to Amazon S3. I'm happy to set this up, grant
appropriate access to others and cover the hosting costs
* It could be deployed to Rackspace Cloudfiles.
* It could be deployed via github pages for free.
* A cron job could be used to check for updates to the git repo and git
pull on changes
* A hook could be configured to trigger a git pull.

Personally, I'd not host static content on a (relatively) expensive server
when other, fast, more reliable, methods are available.

Matt