[Swlug] Docker, containers, oh my!

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 09:28:12 UTC 2017

On 19/04/17 16:19, Matt Willsher via Swlug wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Whats your view on Docker (and container in general)?

At $job-1 I built a hosting platform for (mostly) wordpress sites using
LXC containers (with hindsight I chose the wrong technology - but at the
time LXC seemed more mature with support for e.g. privilege separation).

I think it's hosting about 2500 sites now - spread over about 20 VMs.

So - they are "production ready".

But it does depend on the application(s). Deploying something like a
standalone Wordpress site (minimal interdependencies) is quite different
from a large bespoke application.

Container management/orchestration is still something that's being
worked on. Kubernetes looks very promising.

> Do you use it and if so to what degree? Has it made your liked easier?

Using it - Yes. But not entirely.

I makes it easier to deploy the application to live - as there's no
"build a VM, install stuff onto it" stage...

David.