[Swlug] Docker, containers, oh my!

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Apr 20 08:39:49 UTC 2017

We (Surevine) use Docker mostly for development rather than for
production deployment, so far - I've heard that "serious" deployment
shouldn't really be done with Docker, but the details are mysterious -
it looks rather like using

What I've found is that it's very good for ensuring build instructions
are solid, and indeed building (for example) CentOS 32-bit RPMs on a
64-bit Ubuntu platform.

In general, you'll want to have two images - one for build, and one for deploy.

Finally, while Docker itself is quite interesting, things get really
interesting with docker-compose. Absolutely *not* for production
deployment, but amazingly useful for complex system set-piece
installations.