[Swlug] OU Linux Essentials short course

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Wed Jan 31 22:37:19 UTC 2018

Though it’s getting a little old now
UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook, 4th Edition  is a very good way to dive into the UN*X way. It’s pitched an an intermediate level and covers a great deal of ground. It’s mostly about the command line, and covers general administration and management and running common servers (DNS, email, that kind of thing). What it doesn’t cover is systemd, though, and other recent developments.
Other good sources are the Arch Linux wiki and the RedHat docs (docs.redhat.com), though the latter can be quite RedHat specific it does give a good overview of general principles and practices regardless of OS. The Arch wiki is a great source to find different ways to approach a problem. While it’s Arch focused, again must of the principles apply to other distributions.