[Swlug] using lvm for mirror

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Thu Dec 2 07:52:41 UTC 2021

You can create a separate mirror partition and add as a pv to an lvm vg,
growing the available space.

You would get more control running lvm to do the raid too, and from what I
saw if it a few years ago it looks robust, but I’ve never used it nor ever
seen it used in earnest.

I’ve only used md only on boot and swap and lvm on top for all other cases
due to the flexibility in sizing and scaling it gives.

Do be aware that software raid isn’t always easy to recover from and data
loss can still occur. In work its always been hardware raid where we used
it. As I’m sure you know, Raid is not a replacement for backups.