[Swlug] forgotten administrative password

Dick Bain dick.bain at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 16:51:10 UTC 2021

I presume you are using Mint already, if you are in the Applications -
Accessories menu there is USB stick formatter and USB Image writer 😉

When you have booted into the USB Image and start the installation you will
be asked which installation type you want , here you choose Something Else
which will take you to a partition manager where you can create a root
partition / a /swap partition and a /home partition the root should be 20GB
the swap 4GB and the home partition as big as you can make it 😉

The instructions are
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html
although it envisages you just making a root partition and a swap artition
🙄
hope this helps
Dick

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 16:28, Bill Thomson <billthomson1951 at btinternet.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for your input team 😊
>

> I've downloaded Mint Cinnamon 20.1 onto the laptop and have checked the
> download is legit using the sha256sum and pgp links. I now wish to copy it
> onto a USB stick, but first I need to delete the old ISO from the stick or
> format the stick perhaps. How do I do that? In addition to that, may I
> please ask for details as to how to create a separate /home partition as
> suggested by both Dick and Marcus.
>

> Thanks team, look forward to hearing from you 😊
>

> Bill Thomson

free/libre/open, software for the people by the people
www.swlug.org  is a good place to go ;-)