[Swlug] Dsabling the trackpad

Daniel Morris danielmorris.cengmiet at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 06:46:23 UTC 2024

Perhaps you could talk him through downloading and installing TeamViewer?
I've used this supporting non-technical family. Once he initiates a
session, and gives you the security code over the phone, you can setup ssh,
and port forwarding at the router for the future. He'll probably have a
dynamic IP, so you'll need to configure something like No-IP at the router
too.

Beware that router updates will often nuke your working setup, and then
you'll be back to reinstalling TeamViewer over the phone.

I'd install TeamViewer on two machines at your end first, to suss out the
prompts and non- commercial declaration, they've had some bad press
recently for being more stringent.

Also TeamViewer and other remote login apps are a favourite of scammers, so
you ought to have a warning chat with your Dad - mine initiated a secure
channel, on another device, to check I hadn't changed phone numbers this
week....

Daniel