[Swlugevents] This Weekend Only, eHarmony's Free to Communication

eHarmony.com Partner eHarmony.comPartner at rickofodr.us
Sat Sep 28 13:38:52 UTC 2013

Connect with Singles FREE this Weekend Only

http://www.rickofodr.us/2374/137/344/1164/2469.10tt74103107AAF6.php

Unsub- http://www.rickofodr.us/2374/137/344/1164/2469.10tt74103107AAF7.html

e conservative. But lets not
forget that on many issues, Bush was more compassionate than conservative
 indeed, he was sometimes closer to Republican Theodore Roosevelts free-market
progressivism than William Howard Tafts laissez-faire conservatism.Examples
include No Child Left Behind education reform, presented together at the
White House by Bush and the liberal icon Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.)
in the early days of the Bush presidency; support for broad immigration
reform, very similar to the bipartisan legislation recently proposed in
the Senate; and an extension of Medicare to include prescription drug benefits
 the most far-reaching and generous Medicare reform since Lyndon Johnson.Third,
it is important to remember what a good man with a good
heart George W. Bush is.I know from personal experience.As I have written
before, I remember sitting next to Bush when we were in the
same residential college at Yale (Davenport  he graduated a year after
me). I recall an evening when a group of us was sitting
in the common room outside the college dining hall after dinner and
a fellow Yale student walked by who was known to be gay,
but in those days was not out. Someone said some ugly homophobic
slurs.I didnt like it, yet sat silently. But Bush snapped, saying something
like Hey, knock it off. Why dont you walk in his shoes
awhile and feel what he feels?I remember thinking, Whoa. This guy is
much different inside than the fun-loving frat
ocrats, it's a precarious position to be in.
Democratic senators overwhelmingly support gay marriage -- all but three
are now on the record voicing their support -- and two dozen
of them this year backed a separate bill called the Uniting American
Families Act to let gays sponsor their partners independent of a comprehensive
immigration overhaul.But the party's senators are still bruised from an
agonizing defeat on gun control this month. And few seem eager to
inject divisive issues that might sink their best prospects for a major
legislative victory this year and a potential keystone of President Barack
Obama's legacy."Any amendment which might sink the immigration bill, I would
worry about," Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., said in a brief interview, adding
that he had yet to decide whether an amendment for gays and
lesbians would meet that yardstick.Support from both Hispanics and gays
was critical to Obama's re-election, and his overwhelming advantage among
Hispanics was a major factor prompting Republicans to warm to immigration
overhaul almost immediately after. But now, one community's gain on the
immigration front could be to the other's detriment."As you continue to
add other issues to the immigration discussion, it's going to make it
more challenging," said Sen. John Hoeven, a North Dakota Republican.Patrick
Leahy, D-Vt., who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, has committed to
offering an amendment to the bill to allow gay citize