[TynesideLUG] Fwd: Booting Bunsenlabs Linux on an Acer Chromebook 14

Will McElderry will at mcelderry.com
Wed Dec 8 13:31:09 UTC 2021

Hi Ian (and all again)

I' ve just downloaded the Bunsenlabs installation media image, mounted
it and confirmed that it (at least) has various UEFI components, so will
boot on an UEFI enabled system to get the installer running.

Ian has been told by someone that Bunsenlabs doesn't support UEFI - so
maybe the installer is not be doing everything necessary to configure
the system from then on - if you want to try a manual fix, you could
possibly get shim on there:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface/Secure_Boot#shim
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface/Secure_Boot#shim>

I've just tried executing an unsigned bootloader with SecureBoot
enabled, and I get the response:

    Error reported: Access Denied

so if you find your bootloader and start it (as detailed below), then
get that response, that may indicate that you need to install shim to
work around the issue.

Will.

P.S. I've included my message below that I had intended to send to the
list in case others want to contribute too.

I've missed Ian's reply off because I don't know if Ian would be happy
for me to promote his emails from private to public (not that there's
anything in there I expect Ian would worry about!)