[TynesideLUG] Home web server help.

Derek Frost derek at derekfrost.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 20:52:34 UTC 2024

Hi John,

You will need to buy/rent a domain name from someone like GoDaddy, I pay
about £14 a year for a ".co.uk" domain, a ".com" is usually more.

Also, as home internet connections change their IP address from time to
time you will also need something called a Dynamic DNS service (DDNS) to
redirect your domain to the server. There are free ones available but I
don't know if they are any good.

Running a PC 24/7 for 365 days a year can add £100+ to your electric
bill. I usually use a shared hosting service as this can be cheaper than
the electricity cost to run my own Server, unless you run it anyway, and
it comes with a static IP address so I don't need the DDNS service. The
server is also in a Data centre with power backup available. Last time I
used a German host called Netcup.de and just took a full virtual
machine, installing my own Web server etc. Their English is a bit
comical but it worked well. I had to pay for 6 month up front (£56 for
the package I had) but they refund the difference if you cancel earlier.
You can check them out here:

https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php

It's the LUG on Saturday so its probably easier discuss things then.

Derek

On 26/02/2024 19:50, john hall wrote:
> Hi there all, a question, if you will, ad like to build a home sever
> with Debian az the server and Apache for the website.
>
> All the how-tos online have me abit lost now, aye understand Apache
> gives me an index page to work with but still everything else, like a
> domain name and network configuration am supposed to know, aye know sum
> but not enough...
>
> Aye can setup its SSH connection to the server and see it's use but sum
> online apps like digital ocean and more, are front ends to help serve up
> a website from your home server but @ a cost, still aye feel it defeats
> the object ov hosting a website, on my own home server ?
>
> Any help appreciated, still consider, aye know nothing but ad like to
> know how to if possible and thanks again, John.

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please accept my
apologies. In this case the contents and attachments are confidential
and must not be used, copied, or distributed. Indeed it may be unlawful
to do so.