[Watford] New Member

Matt Marsh matt at mattmarsh.net
Fri Mar 31 08:53:49 BST 2006

On Thu, March 30, 2006 23:39, Mark Stewart said:
> I want to plan each meeting and have a structure to begin with. However
> will organise this nearer to June and yes a there will be slot to talk
> about a prearranged topic followed by q and a. Already had some
> discussions but will post a more detailed plan later.

Sounds good to me.

> Neel the treasurer here also follows some of the technologies your
> interested in, I remember a time not so long ago when my girlfriend
> unplugged his PVR (which was a nice HUSH quiet PC) to plug the hoover in
> and accidently fried the motherboard! Neel took in on the chin, it
> only took him 3 months to configure .....

Oops!

> I'm definetly interested in asterisk, what VOIP hardware do you use with
> this? Seem to remember having difficulty choosing a VOIP phone.

Currently while just playing with it I haven't used a SIP hardware
phone with it. Instead I've used some soft phones and also a
hardwared device called [1]"PhoneGnome" which I was sent on evaluation
and which connects a regular analogue phone to the network - it
basically converts your analogue phone to a SIP phone so you can
then register it to your asterisk server or whatever. I've then
been using [2]sipgate to route calls to/from the regular phone
system. On the list of things to try are getting a proper SIP
hardware phone, and a PCI card that will allow asterisk to talk
directly to my land line.

Matt

[1] http://www.phonegnome.com/
[2] http://www.sipgate.co.uk/