[Watford] Fwd: Discombobulating a Macintosh

Toby Deans plumocelot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 13:55:44 BST 2007

http://www.ilpi.com/help/headlessmac/

Another solution here without solder.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Toby Deans <plumocelot at gmail.com>
Date: 01-Aug-2007 13:27
Subject: Discombobulating a Macintosh
To: watford at mailman.lug.org.uk

http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/296206/headless-mac-mini-server-using-bootcamp/

The link above is an interesting hack for this problem. I have a spare VGA
to DVI adapter I got with my Mac laptop you can probably have. According to
this forum - you can short out the correct pins with resistors to fool your
mac into booting headless. Allegedly, you can attempt this without soldering
if like me you tend to wreak destruction if you go anywhere near a soldering
iron. The resistors you should be able to pick up at Maplins.

More tales of headless woe here:

http://www.antbrown.com/geek/?p=6

Ichabod Crane.

Hi all,

I plan to get along to the next meet (7/8/07). Cliff mentioned the
possibility of setting up the venue with broadband and a web site,
Perhaps we could brainstorm along those lines and get a proposal
together along with costs etc? An internet connection would be nice
for future meets, no?

Dave "The Noob"

PS I think I've found out the restart problem with my box (Ubuntu on
a silver G4). It appears that I 'have' to have a monitor plugged in
for a reboot!

This is what I believe I need to run a headless server on my mac:
http://tvtool.info/go.htm?http://tvtool.info/english/dummy_e.htm

With refernece to the above link, I seem to remember some of you
members being from an electronics background, any chance you've got a
few (3)  75ohm resistors kicking around and a soldering iron with a
bit of solder? I'll find an unused VGA connector we could pull apart!