[Watford] march?

Neel Upadhyaya bahulneel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 10:00:31 GMT 2007

If you're using a Redhat variant check the SELinux settings and for any
distro check your local firewall config.
Also it's not uncommon for a broadband router to reject pings as it makes it
harder to determine what equipment is on the other side of the wall.  If you
have the IP address then I could do an nmap and determine what ports are
open.  You  can do this if you have shell access to a box outside your home
network.

On 17/01/07, Steven Acreman <sacreman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd start from inside your network. Disable the service that runs on port
> 3000 temporarily and start netcat in listen mode on that port. Then from
> another pc on your lan telnet to the port and type some stuff.
>
> Then check your router. Make sure external port 3000 is port forwarded to
> the internal server on the same port. Determine your external IP address
> (sites like http://www.whatismyip.net will tell you that - or just look on
> your router).
>
> From a PC outside of your network try the same telnet test again on port
> 3000 with netcat listening.
>
> If all else fails you can try reseting the router or changing the port to
> something more well known.
>

>  On 17/01/07, Jonathan Dibble <recruitment at jdibble.com> wrote:
> >
> > Guys,
> > Can any one help me out with this silly problem?
> >
> > I have a spare box set up for learning ruby on rails, and i want to view
> >
> > pages on it from the internet (eg work). however my router simply WILL
> > NOT behave as though it is visible ofn the internet.   i cannot ping it
> > or anything. in the past i had ftp and mysql going through it from the
> > itnernet onto my little network to a particular box, but now it just
> > won't play ball.  i checked and double checked i have the right ip and
> > i'm sure i have it correctly. any ideas?  i enabled port forwarding for
> > 3000 which is what ruby on rails and webrick uses for development. but
> > ithink its nothing to do with the box becuase there is no record in the
> > router log of any connections being attemped????
> >
> > does anyone have any suggestions?  is it possible the isp blocked it
> > somehow?
> >
> > cheers,
> > jon
> >
> > On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 16:40 +0000, CLIFF DEAMER wrote:
> > > Hi Steven,
> > > That's a nice offer and I would be up for that. but I am one with
> > > questions not answers so await news on others interested (otherwise I
> > > could bore you to tears!)
> > > Cliff
> > >
> > > Steven Acreman <sacreman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >         Is anyone up for a Saturday meeting before March? My
> > >         girlfriend works most Saturdays so my house is free (I live
> > >         just off of StAlbans road in Watford which is close to the
> > >         town centre). It's only a 2up-2down terrace but it should fit
> > >         5 or 6 people fairly comfortably.
> > >
> > >         Just a suggestion until the core membership increases..
> > >
> > >         <snip>

MCSE is to computers as McDonalds Certified Chef is to fine cuisine.