[Watford] Another petition... - MS Open OfficeXML

James Heaver james at heaver.org
Mon Jun 25 12:45:36 BST 2007

If any of you haven't heard of this previously it is an important issue -
Governments are finally coming to realise that for the sake of openess and
posterity it is neccersary to store data in openly readable formats.  As I'm
sure you are all aware it has taken a huge amount of presssure over a long
period for governments to take this seriously.

Just as this is happening, microsoft are tryign to muddy the waters by
intorducing a competing open standard which they are not implementing fully
or completely so incompatabilities between differernt programs implementing
this specification are inevitabel (and for microsoft, probably desirable).

Sign the petition to ensure that government information interchange isn't
standardised to an unopen standard format, and that the good work in getting
governments to this point isn't in vain.

James

On 25/06/07, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> The petition is aimed at national ISO bodies, prob worth a minute of your
> time:
>
>         http://www.noooxml.org/petition
>
> --
> Alain Williams
> Linux Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT
> Lecturer.
> +44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
> Parliament Hill Computers Ltd. Registration Information:
> http://www.phcomp.co.uk/contact.php
> #include <std_disclaimer.h>

Woops - my hamster walked across the keybaord
09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0
Go Nora Go!