[Watford] nvidia-settings-rc not saving

Neel Upadhyaya bahulneel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 02:27:10 GMT 2008

I have the same problem, but with my ATI card.  Basically, any
overscan settings I set are lost.  I'm not sure this is soluble but
here's the checklist I'd recommend.

1. Check your xorg.conf for any auto configuration option, particularly:
2. Make sure the device that initiates the TV-out screen has DPMS
disabled, as this is likely to override any settings you have,
3. Download the latest SVN version of mythtv as it has screen adjust
built in which should circumvent any overscan issues you may have.

On 27/02/2008, Jonathan Dibble <recruitment at jdibble.com> wrote:
> Please help somebody, this is driving me crazy now!
>
>  I have a GeForce
>  <http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108935#> 6200 running
>  with driver 100.14.19 on 64bit Ubuntu Gutsy.
>
>  I have an old and reliable crt monitor
>  <http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108935#> and a normal
>  crt tv. The tv is connected by s-video and X is running with xinerama.
>  however, nvidia-settings will not save the overscan values to the
>  .nvidia-settings-rc file.  everything works perfectly except this.  i
>  want to have a dedicated mythtv pc but i don't want to have to log in
>  each time to adjust the overscan...
>
>  if i manually try to add the lines to the .nvidia-settings-rc file of
>  0/TVOverScan[TV-0]=15
>
>  I get this error when re-loading the settings:
>
>  Invalid display device TV-0 specified on line 20 of configuration file
>  '/home/scmjsd/.nvidia-settings-rc' (the currently enabled display
>  devices are CRT-0 on scmjsd-desktop:0.0).
>
>  Any ideas anyone? 1000 thanks.

MCSE is to computers as McDonalds Certified Chef is to fine cuisine.