[Watford] MySQL - Help

Neel Upadhyaya bahulneel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 02:37:27 GMT 2008

The mysql privilege table is stored in the "mysql" database  by
default this is a MyISAM DB.  Sometimes it's enough (if you have not
changed the mysql db engine) to delete /var/lib/mysql/mysql.* (this
path is for redhat style installs but is usually the default).  Then
when you restart mysql it will rebuild the privilege table.

At the very worst the following is a similar approach but a little
more drastic (providing the DB you want to restore is MyISAM, a
similar technique exists for InnoDb but, for the life of me, I can't
remember it).  So basically you backup /var/lib/mysql/$myDB.*,
reinstall mysql and then replace the $myDb files.  Then restarting
mysql will restore the DB.

Hope this was useful.

On 27/02/2008, Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi Walt,
>

>  On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 08:52:09PM -0000, Walt wrote:
>  > I will have to byte the bullet and start from scratch,  uninstall
>  > and re-install.  I am really surprised that there is no fix for
>  > this. AND I will backup the \var\lib\mysql directory in full.
>

> There is a fix for it.  It is fully documented in the MySQL manual.
>
>  Cheers,
>
> Andy

MCSE is to computers as McDonalds Certified Chef is to fine cuisine.