[Watford] Second Hard Disk

Neel Upadhyaya bahulneel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 23:25:26 GMT 2008

you have a number of option.

First try upgrading the mainboard firmware, this may enable usb-boot.
If that doesn't work then check to see if you can network boot, from
there you can setup a PXE boot and preform a network install.  This is
also possible from a boot disk but it's a little trickier.
If all else fails then you can preform the first part of the install
from windows, the tools for this are usually abailable with most
distros.

Either way if you can't get usb to work then it's a network install,
the question is only how to boot the install image.

I can elaborate on any of these points should you need.

--N

On 17/01/2008, Jonathan Dibble <recruitment at jdibble.com> wrote:
> hi everyone,
> wonder if anyone can help?
>
> I have a tiny protege toshiba laptop from work.  its a bit old but came
> with xp pre-installed so it can't be too antique . pentium3 processor.
> i would like to get rid of windows and install linux on it.  however, it
> has no cd-rom due to its size.  i don't think it has an option to boot
> from usb either.  it says it has fdd emulation via usb. the other option
> is to boot from the network with pbx i think its called.
>
> any ideas how i can get the damn thing to boot from a usb drive or a
> cd-rom?  i don't have the docking station which it obviously can be
> booted from.
>
> many thanks,
> Jon.

MCSE is to computers as McDonalds Certified Chef is to fine cuisine.