[Watford] Slug - work so far and things to do

Plum Hartnell plumocelot at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 12:39:28 UTC 2009

> I have moved the home directories for users wlub plum jason
> to be under /home - they were under /
> I have hacked /etc/passwd to match.
>
> This is to make it easy to back them up.

Thanks Alain - I am learning a lot from you all. I'm pretty much
self-taught in isolation so there are big gaps in my knowledge and
probably some bad habits I need to loose. One thing about adding
users: If you read the NSLU Linux site, they do say there is some
problems of password persistence for users that are not created using
the web GUI (slug admin page) if the server is then re-booted. There
is a work around for this and I should maybe point you at the part of
the site later.

Backups:

> This is now done nightly.
>
> For information, including how to restore something, see:
>
>        /root/Documentation/Backups
>
> Please don't dump needless megabytes into the areas that are backed up.

Removed the mp3 I used to test FTP setup. Jason debated the virtues of
SFTP over FTP. I have enabled both, although I have not chrooted users
yet. Again, this is another quirk of the uNSLUng distribution, there
is a hack to chroot SFTP users.

> This domain now points to the slug

Great - Now we maybe need to think about content. What are the
aspirations as a group now? More people have been finding us lately -
maybe a happy balance of new and experienced?

> I quite like the website that's up there (bright and colourful just like our
> members) and it seems quick.

> I'm in agreement that the forum could be
> changed to something more lightweight...

Yep, SMF is pretty good but I do get gateway 504 timeouts as it sits a
bit heavy on the limited slug resources. I'd love to repeat a similar
css theme as the rest of the site. I don't have any php skills. I'd
also like a simple calendar. I have a really nice php password protect
script for any pages we want to keep as group only.

I've gone as far as my skills allow on this now and I've learned some
new bits on the way - but I'll leave it alone for now!

Plum