[Watford] Karmic Koala

Toby Deans plumocelot at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 20:05:31 UTC 2009

My first impressions of Karmic Koala - (Ubuntu 9.10)

At last they have FIXED resume from Hibernate. Linux always could
hibernate, it was just its impression of rip-van-winkle with a single
blinking cursor that slowed my use of the HP laptop as my main
machine. This is great news.

The new NVIDIA driver... seems a LOT less buggy..so far.

Boot time - fast

On a minus - The re-write of gdm and the login for gnome 2.28 means
slightly less flexibility with skinning the log-in screen. This is
just visual and I think the re-write was better in the long run..

GRUB2 - A new boot loader. Yep. Control your excitement there.

SoftwareCenter - Install all your favourite apps with a 'Windows' like
lack of fuss :-P Install it with an app that uses the American
spelling of 'Centre'/'Center' and feel sad.

UbuntuOne - Look mum! Cloud computing! 2Gb of storage for transferring clutter.

I did an upgrade from Ibex and it was painless.

plum