[Watford] Karmic Koala

Pe'er grantpe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 21:42:53 UTC 2009

Agreed, it's nice. Fast too.

A few notes:
Using the standard desktop LiveCD to install, it installed a PAE
kernel by default. Previously this wasn't the case (So I understand).
Alt. Install CD doesn't list PAE as a kernel option though. I will add
this is on a desktop with 4GB RAM installed.

New Software Center thingy: nothing to shout about really, just gives
a slightly more user friendly interface to it a package manager. Makes
it more 'Apps Store' like. Frankly it was always simpler than Windows
to install software from the package manager. Stuff thats not in the
package manager is another issue sometimes, not that it's always a
problem or that you often need it.

Really, I quite like it. I did a clean install onto a brand new
desktop and everything went almost too well. Did have one issue with a
mis-installed Nvidia driver, but thats due to internet connection
issues, and nothing to do with Ubuntu.

Peter