[Watford] Karmic Koala

Steve Horsley steve.horsley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:24:08 UTC 2009

The nVidia driver still doesn't recognise the ION chipset in my Acer Riva
which I expected it to do. I had to download from Acers website.

For some reason, my desktop machine (not the revo) looks crisper and
sharper. Not sure if it's just imagination though.

I also felt sad about the mis-spelled software centre. I do think the
software centre is needed, and needs to be simple though. Not for seasoned
Linux users, but for newcomers from Windows who don't have a clue that such
a thing could exist. Huge numbers of newcomers tend to go straight to the
interwebs when they want to install software, download RPMs or source code
and then complain that "Installing software on Linux is too hard.". Apart
from standing over them all day and giving them a slap when they try it,
this software centre is probably the next best solution.

One of the three users on the gnome login screen has a picture of a dog next
to them while the other two are faceless. I can't find anywhere to configure
that, so have no idea where it came from or how to change it. Not that it's
important, just a little strange.

Steve