[Watford] .htaccess

Mark Stewart markwstewart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 14:00:12 UTC 2011

Hi Walt,

On 20 February 2011 20:14, walt <walt at helvatron.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone got a surefire way of getting the .htaccess in Apache 2 to work?
> The platform is Suse11.3 (VM).  I'd truly like to understand and solve
> this

one.

Anything in the error log? Have you tried adding the config in the .htaccess
file to the main config to rule in/out a http.conf issue?

> I have been everywhere with this and applied every (dozens) of fixes most
> of
> which don't work and those that do are inconsistent like it works in
> Firefox
> but not in IE or the error page works in FF but not in IE.  Redirect has
> never worked in any browser.   I have even added comments to html files to
> increase their size and  get round the IE problem of not picking up files
> smaller than 1kb.  The other interesting feature is that,  on the rare
> occasions when it does work  and  the .htaccess file has been changed to
> different instructions,  the old instructions continue to be executed even
> after clearing the browser cache, restarting the server, restarting the
> client pc, ditching the cookies and changing the target html/php files'
> content.
>
> I have worked my way through the Apache manual and messed around with
> httpd.conf and then re-installed everything but to no avail.   My next move
> was to install a WAMP server to see if that works but I get the same
> symptoms there.

Might be easier to post/send me the the http.conf file and .htaccess file
and I'll see if I can recreate the problem.

> Is it Apache that deals with  .htaccess or the browser or both?  I know
> that
> it has to be enabled in the apache conf file which it is and permission are
> set correctly.

Depending on what's in your .htaccess file from an authentication
perspective, but the server instigates and controls security while the
browser conforms to security standard being used.

The only time the browser controls security on its own is by using
Javascript and that's more preventative and it's easy to get around.

> Any help, explanations, pointers advice would be greatly appreciated.
> Further details are available too.
>

> Many thanks, Walt

-Mark