[Watford] I need to understand something about mounting disks

M Fernandes myitpartneruk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:41:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

*What I'm doing*
I'm trying to bring an old computer back to life by letting my children
play on it. To do this, I'm also trying to learn and playing with
installing Gentoo.  Configuration:

   1. fakeraid
   2. two disks joined in Raid0
   3. running multiple partitions (mainly to help me learn about the myriad
   of possibilities)

*Where I've got to*
I've understood how to create partitions on the '/dev/mapper/xyz' device
rather than the individual disks themselves.  I've created the various
filesystems on the partitions.

I'm using http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/RAID/NVRAID_with_dmraid , as well
as http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Partition/ to help me along.

*My question*
I'm using the Gentoo help article as my main source of information.  It's
based on a 3-partition setup, so, I'm trying to understand one particular
aspect in order to try to apply it to my setup.  The article, where it
details mounting, talks about "mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_abiccada4
/mnt/gentoo", then "mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot" and finally "mount
/dev/mapper/nvidia_abiccada1 /mnt/gentoo/boot".  Now, I understand mounting
the various partitions to form the filesystem tree, but I don't understand
why the 'boot' directory is created, because, I have a specific 'boot'
partition.  Can anyone help with this.  I'm hoping that once I understand
this (possibly) small point, I'll be able to adapt the procedure to my
setup.

Many thanks and have a great long weekend everyone!

Regards,
Mike