[Watford] help replicating large amounts of data

Rob Jefferis rob at letchmore.co.uk
Wed Jun 13 07:31:58 UTC 2012

Hi all.

Has anyone got any ideas on the best / quickest way to replicate large volumes of data between servers.

We currently have 2 NAS boxes and would like to replicate 1 to the other. The underlying technology for the sync is rsync and I dont think this is really going to handle the volume of data.

I have just done a count up on one of the larger shares and it is currently around 13TB with 1.5 million folders and around 100 million files.

We have toyed with building some large Windows file servers and using DFSR but I dont think this would handle it either.

Anyone got any ideas on software / hardware that might help? I would estimate the total required storage at primary to be around 50TB so a guestimate would put that at around 350 million files.

The data needs to be available to Windows machines.

Thanks

Rob