[Watford] New machine

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 16:19:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am speccing out a new machine for myself - home use, but I am wondering what
sort of motherboard/CPU to get.

* always left on. My current machine is 10 years old - I want to replace it
  before something breaks.

* I like to run several VMs - so something that supports threading is a good idea
  Would it be better getting multiple CPUs or one CPU that supports lots of
  threads ?

* 64 bit - a given. I prefer AMD over Intel - but am not wedded to the idea
  I have read that although AMD is not as fast in the standard benchmarks that
  the review places tend to publish, but most of these are single threaded and
  AMD performs better where there is a lot of threading. AMD is also cheaper.

* I will be getting 16+ GiB RAM (may 32 and then not have to upgrade)

* Get confused with the differences between AMD's AM3 and FM1, ditto the various
  Intel families and that sort of thing.

I don't mind spending a bit to get the right thing (I hope to use it for many
years), but I don't see the point in getting what is today's top spec - you just
pay a lot more for very little extra gained.

Comments SVP

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/