[Watford] Weird samba problem

Alan Secker alansecker0 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:49:44 UTC 2012

Because the distro I had been using was only a test one, it was prone to
becoming unstable after updates. As I like kde for my work machines, I
was relieved when Mangeia released version 2. I installed it and then
set about recovering my VMware and VirtualBox XP guests.

I prefer to use samba to access my Linux folders from Windows rather
than the shared folders mode because some Windows programs cannot access
anything above 'drive D'.

After setting up the Windows shares and re-attaching the XP guests, I
then tested access from XP

Each day I power up the machine followed by VMware and then XP.

 From VMware, when I check each share, drive G: (which maps to my home
directory) just comes up. No password is requested. The other four
shares always require one.

I have done a few samba restarts and rebooted the virtual XP but nothing
has changed.

This is the share structure:
      /home
         /family mapped to F: in XP
         /alan   mapped to G: in XP
         /public mapped to T: in XP
         /archive_documents mapped to R: in XP
         /Scan_Trap mapped to S: in XP

Only G: does not require a password when accessing it in Windows. BUT
ONLY under VMware.

Every share has 'alan' as the sole user and admin user.

If I start up VirtualBox instead, every share from XP demands a password
from Windows!

I have examined smb.conf several times but cannot find the root of the
problem.

Has anyone a practical suggestion?