[Watford] New machine

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 07:53:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:26:00PM +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

>    Hi Alan
>     I always 'homebuld'. I've been doing it since 1978.

I have done that a few times ... but decided that it is poor use of my time, the
trouble is that because I would do it so infrequently I would need to re-learn
exactly what goes with what, etc, ...

>    I too prefer AMD. They usually run slower than Intel but do more per clock
>    cycle and thereby run cooler.

Also: I think that they are better at multi threading. It is rare that I will do
something that is very computationally heavy but I do run lots of things at the
same time (starting with a Linux desktop, then look at VMs):

    http://blog.bytemark.co.uk/2011/12/01/amds-new-fight-and-why-we-love-bulldozer

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/